Somatic education and innovation.
Students will build a repertoire of competencies, including:
- Movement/ kinesthetic awareness
- Embodied anatomy and developmental movement
- Artistic expression as exploration and integration
- Somatic change & healing
- Embodiment education
- Professional embodied skills of communication
Somatic Body trains students to become professional facilitators of embodiment, movement, perceptual and relational development. Through the program, students build a toolbag of somatic approaches that can be applied in groups or one-on-one teaching, counseling or training practices in areas of dance, movement, therapy, yoga, bodywork, business, and community action.
Students will develop these skills:
- kinesthetic knowledge of body systems (nervous, skeletal, circulatory, etc.) and developmental movement stages
- embodied presence and spatial awareness
- keen observational and assessment skills to identify developmental patterns, tonal quality, and particular use of each body system
- techniques/strategies to address and heal physical injury, trauma, and limiting movement patterns
- effective movement repatterning techniques to access greater ease and alignment
- course of action or class curricula
- perspective of the healthy body that can be engaged with through enlivening tissues through touch and movement explorations, play, artistic expression, and nature
- dance and movement improvisation skills to invite personal expression, invoke intuitive knowing, and embrace the unpredictable path of healing
- relational verbal and non-verbal skills for effective communication with students, clients, and colleagues
- comprehension of academic research literature and writing about current topics in somatic movement education and therapy and enter into professional discourse in the somatic field
STUDENTS WILL BE GUIDED THROUGH THEIR OWN EMBODIMENT OF ANATOMICAL STRUCTURES, AND WILL LEARN KINESTHETICALLY THROUGH OBSERVATION AND MOVEMENT REPATTERNING, AS WELL AS ENGAGE WITH THESE CONCEPTS THROUGH CREATIVE EXPRESSION IN DANCE, PERFORMANCE, WRITING AND TEACHING.